Schalom to all the other pretend Jews out there in Mormonia!
If there's anything my brothers and I take more pride in than being great fake Jews, it would have to be being great fake Sweeds. So, to celebrate my recent return from a Summer spent working with Goyem (and one real Jew) we made a Swedish dinner. Included in every Swedish dinner made by the Mormonides family is a large selection of fancy cheeses, usually ones that we are not terribly familiar with.
I'll start off with a familiar cheese: smoked Gouda. Gouda is a very good cheese with a strong flavor. If you want a cheese to gently compliment other flavors, Gouda is probably not what you want, and smoked Gouda even less so. I enjoyed it best with a fairly plain type of Swedish cracker called Knackebrod. Because of its strong flavor, it also complimented sweet things like honey ham or apples (or both at the same time). I give it 3.5 stars.
Second on my list of favorites is Gruyere, a cheese from Switzerland. This is not to be confused with "Swiss Cheese," which is what we call a group of Swiss cheeses that does not include Gruyere. It is a hard cheese that is absolutely delightful. It was very slightly nutty, but not nearly as nutty as other Swiss cheeses. Gruyere has a very distinctive, salty taste and I found it to be fairly dry and almost gritty. But not in a bad way. In a very good way. I enjoyed it with sesame or other not-too-salty crackers. I give it a solid 4 stars.
Last for today is Havarti. Havarti is a Danish cheese that has a few variations. We got Havarti with dill. It had an almost buttery-sweet flavor that made it truly delightful. I enjoyed it with almost anything, but particularly with some of the other essential elements of a Swedish dinner: sausages and roast. It complimented these salty meats very well. It also goes quite well with pickles, which is another thing that we Mormonides love. I give Havarti 5 stars only because there are no more stars to give.
So, till next time, zay gezunt and eat some good cheese, why not?
Herschel
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Everything you have said here is good, except that this is cheese blog no. 3. I did no. 2 a while ago. A shaynem dank dir im pupik!
Maybe I didn't think your no. 2 was good enough?
Post a Comment