Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lehi

Schalom and vee gehts!

I have been thinking about Father Lehi lately. Lehi was born a good, balebatische Jew. (I'm green with envy, I am!) As such, he must have known about the story of Moses leading the people out of Egypt into the Promised Land. The reason I bring this up is that I wonder if Lehi ever thought about that long trip through the desert during his own long trip in the druchus. He must have noticed the parallels.

Both men (Lehi and Moses) saw the Lord in the form of a fiery vision. Both were called to lead a righteous group away from a wicked group. Both men led their groups into an unknown wilderness with the hope of a Promised Land. Both groups had rebellions and talked about the gute zeiten, despite being fed from heaven. Both leaders had their moments of doubt and weakness.

I could keep listing these things, but I won't. The point is that there are lots of things that must have made Lehi think he was another Moses. I think this would have frightened him, because the last Moses didn't end up in the Promised Land. Once in a while Lehi must have caught himself thinking that he, like Moses before him, would lead the Lord's people to Eretz Zion, but would not himself be able to enter. As sad as that is, I think it makes Lehi's personal devotion even more admirable.

I think we can all learn a lesson from Lehi. He was willing to stick with it and sacrifice, even if that sacrifice was for somebody else.

And that's it for today. Till next time, zay gezunt!
Herschel

No comments: