Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thoughts This Week

I went to the DMV today. Because I have moved so many times, I missed the renewal notice for my car. And because my tags are expired, I can't park where I live, because they could tow my car.

This is the perfect case in point - big government, bad service, marginal benefit. We deal with the DMV every year, and still believe government will do well with healthcare. Look at these people working there - do we really want them deciding our health care needs?

If the DMV made the streets safer, then it wouldn't be such a bad thing. But they don't. The cops clean up all the accidents the drunks leave behind, the insurance companies pay for the uninsured illegals who do hit and runs. What service is the DMV providing that someone else can't do better, cheaper, and quicker?

There is no other company that gets away with making people wait for 2 hours before servicing them. If I was the manager there, I'm seeing all those dollars (customers) and wondering how can I quickly process them all? What's the fastest way to get the money out of their pockets and into mine? Can't something be done about this backlog? How about 2 days a week, make it known - double staff every Tuesday and Thursday.

It is interesting to think that our things own us. The more stuff we have, the more we have to take care of it. People with 2 cars have double the car wash bills. Double the insurance. Now think about this . . . as government as grown, as we've demanded more and more from our government, they take more and more in taxes.

The government provides it's citizens with wonderful roads, but those roads cost money to make, maintain, redo, relocate, re-surface, re-stripe, etc. Government should generally run like a business. Provide a service, collect a fee. Fees should be related to the service provided. They provide roads, how can they charge only the people using them? Tax on fuel, tax on tires, tax on cars. Anyone who actually uses the roads, pays for the roads. And ultimately, the consumer pays for everything that's shipped, trucked, flown, etc. in the form of product costs.

Oh well, I ramble. good night.

No comments: