Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cheese blog no. 1

A gut morgn! Today we inaugurate a new feature here at Mormonides Bros. Blog-house and Kvetchery. What is? The cheese blog! Where we write about cheese. Cheese is good, yes? So what's not to love?

Today, we discuss two cheeses. First, myzithra. This is a greek cheese made from sheep's milk and goat's milk. It comes in two varieties: fresh, or soft, and hard, or aged.

I bought the aged kind, and found it delicious. It seems that generally people recommend that this cheese be grated, like parmesan. The texture is certainly right for that, although the flavor is not as strong as parmesan. In pasta dishes, the flavor seemed to get lost, but it worked well in salads with a little bit of sweetness, like apples or dried cranberries. Lots of people describe it as having a nutty flavor, and I think I can agree with that. It melted up nicely in quesadillas or in toasted sandwiches. This really seemed to bring out a richness.

I give aged myzithra four stars. It keeps well, it tastes good on a variety of foods, and it has a nice texture.

The second cheese is Fol Epi. It's a 'Swiss-style' cheese from France, but without the bite I usually associate with what we call Swiss cheese here in the US. It comes in a rind made of toasted wheat flour instead of wax. I actually tried eating the rind, and although it's not nearly as good as the cheese itself, it's not bad.

The Fol Epi was a little bit soft, but not quite soft enough to really spread. If I kept it cold in the refrigerator, I had no trouble cutting it. It's really delicious stuff-- a little bit sweet or fruity, but mostly just a good cheesy flavor. I loved it with everything I tried it with, especially sandwiches. It melts quickly because of the softness, so I loved slicing it onto warm toast.

I give Fol Epi five stars. I can't imagine someone not loving this cheese. Super yum.

And that's enough cheese blogging for today. So, goodbye and gey gezunterheyt!

--MOISHE

No comments: