Yesterday was a very busy Sabbath, but today things have calmed down enough to give me some time to post the second thought that I had, albeit a day later than expected. In Sunday School we were talking about the fact that God has encouraged us as Saints to get as much education as we can, including a secular education. I have heard (and said) many reasons for this, but today I stumbled upon a new one. It sounds so simple, but it was an insight to me. It is this: Thinking is Thinking.
Let me explain, lest you think I am a Dumkop. The process of thinking is the same, whether you are thinking about the Gospel, sociology, astrophysics, whatever. Thinking is thinking, regardless of what one is thinking about. Thinking also takes practice. The more you think, the easier it is (which is, incidentally, why I feel that today's youth are a bunch of nogoodniks, but that's another kvetch for another day).
I think that the reason the Lord wants us to get an education is because the deep things of the Gospel are so complex, that unless we practice by thinking about comparatively simple things, like thermodynamics or vector calculus (which are truly simple by comparison), we will never be able to understand the complexities of the Gospel.
I am not saying that our studies of the Gospel should focus solely on having an academic understanding of holy things, but I do think that to truly believe in something and have perfect faith, we have to understand what it is that we believe in.
So, there you have it. Think. If we think enough we may just get smarter, alevai.
Herschel
Sunday, September 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment