I have long been bothered by Jacob's statement in 2 Nephi 9 that "the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there." I have usually thought of the gate referred to here as the entrance to the celestial kingdom. But we often think that Jesus is not going to be the only one standing there.
For starters, think of all the jokes about St. Peter standing at the pearly gates with the big book. On a more serious note, Brigham Young said that " angels ... stand as sentinels," which we must pass to enter into the presence of God. And there are other scriptures that talk about how apostles and prophets will judge whether we are worthy of a heavenly reward.
So, I have not known how to understand this verse in 2 Nephi 9. But today, I think I stumbled across something which I am sure was obvious to many of the rest of you. This verse talks about a path leading back to God, and a gate. But it doesn't say where the gate is, relative to the path. I have assumed it is at the end. But it could also be at the beginning. As Jacob's brother explains it later:
"...For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life..."
If this is so, then Jacob is really just saying what Jesus himself said. There is only one path back to God, and our first steps on that path are faith, repentance, and baptism. And this happens through Christ, and Christ alone. He employs no servant there.
Anyway, just thought I'd share. Mazel tov!
--MOISHE

No comments:
Post a Comment