Sunday, February 24, 2008

How to teach- Part I

Schalom!

This week I've been thinking a lot about teaching. Specifically, I've been thinking about what makes a good lesson and a good teacher. There was way too much for one post, so I decided to make it a series.

The first skill that I think a good teacher needs is how to take care of reading. If there's one sure-fire way to get your class all farblonjid, it's reading a long boring passage. For anybody who hasn't figured it out yet, let me tell you a secret: any long reading is boring. It doesn't matter if it was interesting when you first read it. If it takes more than a minute to read, less than half the class will be listening by the end. That's just the way it is. There are ways to make it better though.

1) Read less- The simple truth is that reading whole chapters out loud is not a great way to learn, and much of what we read in class could be taught another way. If you can think of a way to teach it without making it a farshlepteh krenk, you should probably do it.

2) Explain more- Before reading a verse (or a quote), explain who is talking, whom they are talking to, and any important things that are happening. This also helps you to accomplish number 1. If you explain the context, you don't have to read the 3 verses before the one you are interested in just to explain what is going on.

3) Let them read- It is usually better to let the class members do the reading, not you. The class is already hearing your fonfering for an hour, so you might as well give them some variety. Another benefit is that you can let shy people who don't feel comfortable sharing their own ideas participate in a less threatening way.

4) If you have to break any of these rules, especially the first one, you will have to do something extra to keep it interesting. I have found it helpful when I am reading a long passage to give the class something to listen for instead of waiting till it is over to explain why it was important.
"While we are reading these verses, pay special attention to the way the Savior shows his love for..."
Basically you ask your question before you read the passage, then ask it again after. Knowing up-front why you are listening to something makes listening a lot easier.

Well, that's it for this week. Till next time, zay gezunt and a glick ahf dir with the reading!

Herschel

No comments: