Saturday, February 09, 2008

Who's your daddy?

Schalom!

Today, I want to do a bit of kvetching. And, as my dear mother always said, "A kvetch a day keeps the dumkops at bay." Or something to that effect.

It hurts my poor ears to hear people misusing "thee" and "thy" and the other scriptural pronouns. Now, I may not know much for zombies, but when it comes to bible talk... I'm the Bal Toyreh. So, without any more fuss, let's talk grammar.

Thou- Thou is used as the SUBJECT of a sentence. That means that you use it any time you would say "I" or "he," not "me" or "him."

Thee- Thee is used as the OBJECT of a sentence. That means that it is not the thing doing the verb, but the thing being verbed. If you can replace it with "him" or "us" or "me," you are probably using it right.

Thy- Thy is used as a possessive. It means "your."


Now, the general misuse of these is not the real subject of my kvetch. What I really want to kvetch about is a specific misuse of 'thy.' When we pray, we often end in the name of "thy son, Jesus Christ." This makes perfect sense. When we pray, we are addressing God the Father, whose Son is Jesus Christ. What bothers me is when people end their talks like this. In a talk, we address the congregation, not God. Ending a talk in the name of "thy son" means that you, the speaker, think that Jesus is my son. For anybody who is confused on this subject, let me just tell you: I am not Jesus' father. Please do not address me as such.

Well, everybody, that's all I have to say today. Till next time, zay gezunt!

Herschel